Tea meditation

    An earthy aromatic and rich powder make up this beautiful name, hōjicha.  Omotenashi is the Japanese hospitality.  Moving into this cooler October day I had a calling to a thicker tea, a whisked powdered tea originated from the Kyushu Island, Japan. Sourced from WAO Tea, a female owned small business in Taos, NM. 

I began my practice by boiling water and preparing my utensils, bowl and tea pot.  Comfortably sitting on the floor at my table I heat up my tea pot.  I take a heaping tsp of powder tea into my bowl.  Pouring a tiny amount of water on top, I use my whisk and whip my hojicha.  Lastly, transferring the tea into the teapot I add more water. This is a practice of focus, gratitude, patience and stillness.  I serve 3 bowls, tapping for Jing, Qi, & Shen (essence, energy, spirit). 

    In the early mornings to the early evenings, Chanoyu (tea ceremony) has become a time for me to reflect on meditative values.  Cha (tea) is a vehicle for me to balance body, mind, and soul.  It's a moment to dive deep into observation of my spiritual essence through the wisdom and appreciation of tea meditation. I find immense gratitude during these times. 

    This particular ritual of whisked tea, like matcha, began during the Sung Dynasty where buddhism influenced the simplicity of bowl tea. Introduced to Japanese monks during the 8-10th century, this traditional style made its way to Japan from China.

  


In light,

Hayley 

Comments