Healing through food: Traditional Chinese medicine

    Recently I am finding I need a little bit of support.  Support in regards to my mood, cravings, complexion, and energy levels.  Honestly, my overall health needs some attention through this seasonal shift.  We know from Ayurvedic medicine that health is the concept of balancing your specific characteristics in the way of knowing your Dosha type.  This vital knowledge will allow you to begin self-healing and ultimately lead you to unification of the body, mind, and spirit, also known as Yoga.  Nourishing the body through the six rasas (Sanskrit for taste) is spoken of widely in Ayurvedic cuisine as well as TCM with very slight differences between the two.  One of those rasas is sweet rasa and is the building block of nourishing all of your dhatus (bodily tissues) so don't feel the need to criticize yourself for wanting to indulge in this desired taste.  I enjoy eating intuitively and taking the time to listen to what my body is asking for, as opposed to filling any impulsive eating habits.  Going into the late fall I'm finding myself drawn to the sweet rasa, this could indicate that I may need some adjusting but overall I want to treat myself to this rasa in the proper way and provide support to my craving.  

    Now, because I love experimenting with new dishes, I wanted to introduce you to a traditional Chinese dessert often made during holidays like the New Year.  It features Snow Fungus AKA Tremella, or Silver ear, red dates, goji, lotus seeds, and dried longan aril.  Most of these ingredients are so new to me but this beautiful amber dessert is perfect in moderation!  The energetics of sweet rasa do tend to have a cooling effect on the body so again, everything in moderation and if I can recommend any book to learn more of the energetics behind spices, herbs, and food it would be The Yoga of Herbs, by Dr. David Frawley and Dr. Vasant Lad.  This is key to finding balance, knowing the energetics behind what you're eating.  This stew will nourish the blood, liver, bone marrow acting as a nutritive tonic, rejuvenating the nervous system and circulatory system by cooling down excess PittaIt is loaded with polysaccharides (antioxidants) making it a super food with anti inflammatory benefits, lots of vitamin D and aid in the regeneration of white blood cells and skin cells among many other beauty benefits.  Known to be praised by Chinese imperial concubine Yang Guifei of the Tang Dynasty, the most beautiful woman in Chinese history, she credited her glowing skin and youthful complexion to Tremella mushrooms.  

I follow a TCM chef and advisor, @zoeyxinigong owner of @fiveseasonstcm who speaks about these particular ingredients often. Go give her a follow and cheers to continuing to heal through food.


In light,

Hayley


BOIL WATER IN A CLAY POT, ADD IN: TREMELLA - GOJI BERRIES - LOTUS SEEDS - RED DATES - LONGAN ARIL, COOK FOR 1-2 HOURS UNTIL SOFT AND AMBER COLORED.

 <cookware from @ancientcookware>






Comments